What can I do to avoid flooding in my home?
The City of Rockledge requires that all new residential structures in the regulatory floodplain be elevated one foot above the base flood elevation (BFE). It may be possible to retrofit existing structures that are not above the BFE by incorporating various flood-proofing measures.

Flood-proofing measures include:
  • Check with a plumber regarding a valve to prevent sewer backups

  • Keep materials like sandbags, plywood, plastic sheeting, and lumber handy for emergencies

  • Make sure that nearby drainage ditches are clear of debris and functioning properly

If you know that flooding is probable, move valuable contents upstairs or to a safe location.

Debris in drainage ditches, streams, and pipes can cause localized flooding when it rains. It is unlawful for any person to throw or deposit any refuse, trash, or debris in any drainage ditch, stream or body of water. In order to prevent localized flooding outside of special flood hazard areas, city code requires the minimum finished floor elevation for new residential construction to be at least 18 inches above the highest crown of any abutting street.

Show All Answers

1. What is a floodplain?
2. What causes flooding in the City of Rockledge?
3. What can I expect if a storm approaches?
4. What can I do to avoid flooding in my home?
5. Is my home in a floodplain?
6. What is required when I apply for a building permit in a flood plain?
7. I've had flood damage to my home or business; do I need a permit for repairs?
8. What can I do to decrease my risk of injury during a flood?
9. Why do I need flood insurance?