Why do I need flood insurance?
If you have questions about whether or not you need flood insurance, consider the following:
  • Any walled and roofed building in an National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) participating community is eligible, whether or not the building is located in a floodplain.

  • Flooding is not covered by a standard homeowner's insurance policy.

  • Flood insurance is available in the City of Rockledge due to the city's participation in the NFIP.

  • Maintaining a flood insurance policy is one of the most important things you can do to protect yourself and reduce the cost of flood disasters.

  • There is a 30-day waiting period after a policy is purchased before coverage goes into effect. However, if a new or renewal policy is required by a lender as a condition for obtaining a mortgage, then the coverage takes effect at closing.

Show All Answers

1. What is a floodplain?
2. What causes flooding in the City of Rockledge?
3. What can I expect if a storm approaches?
4. What can I do to avoid flooding in my home?
5. Is my home in a floodplain?
6. What is required when I apply for a building permit in a flood plain?
7. I've had flood damage to my home or business; do I need a permit for repairs?
8. What can I do to decrease my risk of injury during a flood?
9. Why do I need flood insurance?