Kitchen and Bath
This memo is written to provide clarification concerning permitting requirements for kitchen/bathroom remodels and alterations. The Florida Building Code (FBC) Section 105.1 provides that work to any mechanical, electrical, or plumbing system regulated by the FBC requires a permit. Section 105.2.2 provides that certain ordinary minor repairs may be made without a permit subject to the approval of the building official. The following information is provided as a guide for such work:
1. The replacement of kitchen/bathroom cabinets and countertops are considered minor repairs not requiring a permit.
2. Replacement of sinks, toilets, bathtubs (except shower), dishwasher or similar plumbing fixtures and/or appliances in the same location without addition or alteration to plumbing water piping, drain piping, or electrical wiring are considered minor repairs nor require a permit. Replacing the shower will require replacing the shower pan requires a permit.
3. Installation or relocation of sinks, toilets, bathtubs/shower or appliances in new locations requiring the installation, addition to, or alteration of the plumbing piping or electrical wiring requires a permit to be obtained by a licensed contractor/subcontractor qualified to perform such work.
4. Moving of interior walls or partitions altering the floor plan of the building requires a permit to be obtained by a licensed contractor/subcontractor qualified to perform such work.
5. The installation of or alteration of existing HVAC duct work or exhaust systems requires a permit to be obtained by a licensed contractor/subcontractor qualified to perform such work.
NOTE: Owner/Builders per Florida Statutes 489.103 Exemptions, states that you are acting as your contractor and cannot sell or rent your house for a year.
Questions concerning whether work on any specific project requires a permit should be made to the City of Rockledge Building Department office 321-221-7540, or fax 321-204-6356, or email email@example.com.